Sunday 5 June 2011

I'm Here!

When I moved here in 2000, I thought I was the only American in England. Really! I never imagined that there could be others as wacky as me, moving to a completely different country. But that's honestly how I felt.

I didn't work, drive, didn't know anyone and didn't even know my way around the block. While Hubby was at work I either surfed the web or watched TV.  Even that was a shock. I didn't know any of the TV shows nor did I know any of the celebrities. I ended up watching a lot of cooking shows. Cooking couldn't be that foreign, right?

Ummm...Jamie Oliver? Who was he? (He's a TV chef.)  

I got seriously frustrated at not recognizing anyone on TV. I finally found Comedy Central and spent many hours watching American TV shows, even shows I didn't normally watch in the US, simply because the accents and characters were familiar and I found it oddly comforting.

I spent the first month or so waiting for my belongings to arrive by boat. I'd brought some clothes with me, but that was it. In hindsight, I should have brought some things to do, like books or CDs. I was bored. So for you budding expatriates who are planning the big move, make sure you bring some things to do while you wait for your life to arrive here!

One day I realized that I had to start learning my way around. So I bravely decided to take the bus into town. Ooooh the excitement! I know it doesn't REALLY sound exciting, but actually it was rather scary. I had to learn the bus route and the fact that when buying a bus ticket you didn't say "round trip" but "return."  Once in town, I didn't know my way around at all. I just wandered around, carefully feeling my way and trying to remember where to go to pick up the bus for going home.  I still managed to shop and spend money, though! Ahhhh...retail therapy. And I slowly built up my confidence, too.

The biggest thing I had to learn was driving. But I have enough stories to save that for another blog!

2 comments:

  1. I used to drive Chris crazy my first few months there...I watched Comedy Central as well, but got very confused when Scottish comics were on..."What is he saying? I don't understand. Why are the audience laughing? Who are they talking about?" Political humour was beyond my comprehension. I was sooo bored as well! Used to have the house clean by 10 AM and wonder what to do the rest of the day - then when he got home I would practically attack him with questions and requests. Poor guy - he didn't have a chance to catch his breath! Still, I survived and thrived. Got a job, learned to drive, got online and in with the expat community, met you, Jody, and Marty, and loads of others. Still miss it there - I have kept my ILR up, so you never know.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come visit! I'll put the kettle on. :-)

    ReplyDelete