Monday 27 June 2011

Jersey Girl

With the sad passing of Bruce Springsteen's dear friend and sax player Clarence Clemons, I found myself reflecting on my Jerseyness recently.

Once a Jersey Girl, always a Jersey Girl. I miss diners and pork roll sandwiches, and I still say "cawfee." On a hot day I miss hopping in the car and driving down to the Jersey shore to visit Point Pleasant.

(Courtesy of nj.com)

My Jerseyness came out recently when I had a conversation with a coworker who I hadn't worked with much before. Out of the blue he asked me, "What part of the States are you from?" When I told him New Jersey, his eyes opened wide and he asked, "Are you a Springsteen fan?"

And that started a loooong conversation about all things Jersey. He's seen The Boss twenty-three times. Twenty three! I'm from NJ and have only seen him twice! We talked about Springsteen and the NJ Turnpike. How far did I live from Asbury Park? Have I ever been to the Stone Pony? He said these places are folklore to him. The Turnpike? Really? Sure, I can see the attraction.

(Courtesy of aaroads.com)

It's strange to think that people around the world are fans of this guy from Jersey. I mean, they don't know the Turnpike or Asbury Park, I do! How can they relate? But I guess it's the same as me, a Beatles fan, going all gooey at crossing Abbey Road in London for the first time. I realize now just what an ambassador Bruce is for the Garden State.

And now it's time to shift gears a little and tell you about an amusing encounter I had at work a few years ago.

I once had a conversation with another coworker, a lovely Vietnamese woman whose nationality was Canadian. I'll call her Susie (to spare her the embarrassment). It was summer and the 4th of July was happening over the weekend.

We'd spoken many times before, and on this particular day our conversation went something like this:

Susie: "What are you doing this weekend?"

Me: "Oh, nothing really. It's the 4th of July but I don't have any plans to celebrate."

Susie: (Points and gasps, with mouth wide open) "Oh! You're American!!!"

Me:  (Staring at her and laughing) "Of course I'm American! What did you think think this accent was?? I'm from New Jersey!"

Susie: "I thought you were from the Jersey Isles!" (Here in England.) "I'm not very good with accents."

Me: (Laughing uncontrollably) "Obviously!! You do realize what the team would say if I told them about this!"

(Pause)

Me: (Yelling to the team) "Hey guys! you'll never guess what Susie just said...."

Susie left the company years ago...but the story will never grow old!

2 comments:

  1. I thought a picture of exit 10 where you are from when answering the question what exit?

    Your story of the Canadian around the 4th reminded me of being in Canada in late June last year. And attending church (Anglican Church of Canada) and it was of course the weekend of Canadian Independence. The church sang at the end the Canadian National Anthem, and my son Mike and I were belting it out. We were asked at the coffee hour whether we were from Canada originally and we said no we just love hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite right, Ed! I changed the picture so it has the correct exit!

    That's a funny story about the Canadian National anthem. I have a funny story about the British National anthem...but I'm saving that for another blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete